Women’s volleyball: Local Cath stars step up at college level
Mike Nelson Aug. 24, 2019
It wasn’t that long ago that Hannah Tostado was dominating the volleyball court for St. Paul HIgh School of Santa Fe Springs, leading the Swordsmen to the 2017 CIF-Southern Section Division 5 title and earning D-5 Player of the Year honors.
Today, the former prep All-American is a sophomore playing for Concordia University of Irvine, coached by another former CIF Player of the Year — Paula Weishoff, who earned the honor playing for West Torrance in 1978 before building a powerful resume that placed her on several U.S. Olympic medal-winning teams, and earning her a spot in the USA Volleyball of Fame.
Whether Tostado or any other Catholic high school volleyball star matches Weishoff’s illustrious achievements remains to be seen. But quite a few are making their mark in collegiate women’s volleyball playing for colleges and universities in Southern California.
In addition to those mentioned recently in Angelus playing for West Coast Conference schools, the list includes two UCLA sophomores with Catholic high school ties: setter Devon Chang, an All-CIF, All-American and Gatorade POY in California while at Santa Margarita, and libero Kelsey Campeau, who earned All-CIF and All-State honors at Mater Dei.
Also on the list, many of whom earned All-League, All-CIF and additional honors in high school:
- UC Santa Barbara: freshman Kristina Pepek, Mater Dei; freshman Deni Wilson, Notre Dame/Sherman Oaks; and senior Charlie Robinson, Marymount, twice a Big West All-Academic team selection at UCSB.
- Cal State Fullerton: sophomores Haley Carmo and Gabrielle Barcellos, Santa Margarita, and Elizabeth Schryer, J.Serra.
- Chapman University: senior Eve Silverman, J.Serra, and junior Katherine Walker, Alemany, twice an SCIAC All-Academic Team choice.
- Cal Lutheran: sophomore Julia Trento, St. Lucy’s.
- UC Riverside: junior Victoria Bachawati, St Monica/Santa Monica.
- San Diego State: junior Loren Teter, Notre Dame Academy.
- Azusa-Pacific: senior Frankie D’Aquila, St. Lucy’s.
- Cal Poly Pomona: senior Amanda Jaramillo, Mater Dei.
- Occidental: junior Lara Minassians, Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy.
- La Verne: sophomore Haley Celaya, St. Lucy’s.
Mike Nelson is the former editor of The Tidings (predecessor of Angelus News).
Start your day with Always Forward, our award-winning e-newsletter. Get this smart, handpicked selection of the day’s top news, analysis, and opinion, delivered to your inbox. Sign up absolutely free today!
You Might Also Like