Msgr. Peter Healy, first director of diaconate program, dies Funeral Mass was held Jan. 30 at St. Robert Bellarmine Church in Burbank for Msgr. Peter Healy, 83, a retired priest of the archdiocese who died Jan. 23. He had served the archdiocese in a variety of assignments, notably as the first director of the Permanent Diaconate program established in 1971.
Born in Long Beach, he graduated from St. Anthony High School before entering the seminary. His first assignment following his ordination in 1953 was serving as an associate pastor at St. Philip the Apostle Church in Pasadena. After six years, he was named an associate pastor at Our Lady Chapel in Los Angeles and also served simultaneously as an assistant pastor at St. Vibiana Cathedral.
In 1965, he was named director of Our Lady Chapel and information center and became an associate pastor at St. Vibiana, serving until 1982. During this time, he also served as local priest director for the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington D.C. and director of the Sodalities of Our Lady.
From 1971 to 1983, he ministered as the first director of the archdiocese’s permanent diaconate program and then served as episcopal vicar for the permanent diaconate until 1986. He served as pastor of Good Shepherd Church in Beverly Hills (1982-91), then ministered as senior priest at St. Robert Bellarmine Church in Burbank (1991-99), living there in retirement until he moved to Nazareth House a couple of months ago.
In a Tidings’ article in the spring of 1974, Msgr. Healy articulated the role of the deacon in the life of the church: “The deacon is a man of faith, a man of prayer. He enters into the sanctuary of God, yet is ever a citizen of his own community. From that sanctuary of God daily he enters into the life, the needs of God’s people. He searches out the abandoned, the alienated, the aged, the handicapped, the lonely, those, who both in body and soul, hunger and thirst.”
Catherine Gabriel, oldest IHM Community member Funeral Mass will be celebrated Feb. 10 in the mausoleum chapel of Calvary Cemetery, Los Angeles, for Catherine Gabriel, IHM (Sister Annette), who died Jan. 24, three days after celebrating her 98th birthday with IHM Community members at the IHM Residence, her home for 32 years.
Born Fort Fairfield, Maine, she moved with her family to San Bernardino, where she met the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart at St. Bernardine’s School. She entered religious life in 1931, and taught in Canada, San Bernardino, Colton, San Mateo, Long Beach, Visalia, Merced and Los Angeles.
In 1970, Gabriel chose to join the newly formed Immaculate Heart Community and continued her teaching ministry. In 1978 she retired from teaching and became a eucharistic minister at Queen of the Valley Hospital, West Covina, and also helped in its medical records department.
She moved to the IHM Residence in Los Angeles in 1980, and served for several years as eucharistic minister at the Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital. She participated in Community projects and in activities at the residence until she slowed down in her 90s, when she spent most of her time in prayer, especially with the rosary, which she loved. In June 2011, she celebrated her 80th jubilee as an IHM.
Members of the Immaculate Heart Community will miss Catherine’s gentle presence and her grateful and joyful greetings. She leaves a legacy of peacefulness and patience and devotion to the Blessed Mother.
In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to Immaculate Heart Community, 5515 Franklin Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90028.
Sr. Marie Therese Hickey, SS.CC. Funeral Mass was held Jan. 24 at St. Patrick Church in Kaimuki, Hawaii, for Sacred Hearts Sister Marie Therese Hickey, 79, who died Jan. 11 at the Queen’s Medical Center in Honolulu.
Born in Hawaii, she attended St. Anthony School (Kalihi Kai), St. Theresa School and Farrington High School. She worked briefly as a secretary for St. Patrick Church and then joined the Sisters of the Sacred Hearts in 1952.
For 32 years, Sister Hickey served in school and parish ministry. Locally, she ministered at Maria Regina Church in Gardena, primarily teaching second grade as well as coordinating the religion program.
Sr. Jean Marie Des Jardins, OP Funeral Mass was held Jan. 18 at the Dominican Sisters Chapel, Fremont, for Dominican Sister Jean Marie Des Jardins, 92, who died Jan. 12. She had been a Dominican Sister for 74 years.
Born in Brockston, Massachusetts, she ministered primarily in elementary and secondary education. In the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, she taught at Sacred Heart School, L.A.; St. Michael School, L.A.; San Gabriel Mission High School, San Gabriel; St. Michael High School, L.A.; and Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy, La Ca√±ada (school archivist).
Memorial donations may be made to the Dominican Sisters Retirement Fund or the Mother Pia Backes Education Fund, 43326 Mission Blvd., Fremont, CA 94539 or the Vision of Hope Fund, 1555 34th Ave., Oakland, CA 94612.