Courtney Cohen, freshman pitcher/outfielder for Louisville High School’s Division 5 CIF-Southern Section softball champions, was named D-5 Player of the Year.
Cohen is the first Royal to earn a Player of the Year award in softball. Last year, two Catholic school players earned the award: Tessa Magnanimo, Chaminade (D-5) and Serra/Gardena’s Lauryn Carter (D-7).
Louisville’s Jason Cohen was named Division 5 Coach of the Year, and senior outfielder Nicole Norman was a first team selection. Also named to the D-5 first team were senior pitcher Savannah Scripter, Paraclete, and junior infielders Madison Jacobus, Bishop Montgomery, and Amanda Ramirez, Flintridge Sacred Heart.
Fourteen softball players from local Catholic high schools received All-CIF first team honors in their respective divisions for 2019, as selected by the CIF-SS Softball Coaches' Association, and presented by the LA84 Foundation. Other All-CIF honorees included:
- Division 1: Seniors Nyomi Jones, Mater Dei outfielder, and Isabella Florentino, Santa Margarita pitcher.
- Division 2: Senior Tatum Anzaldo, St. Paul infielder.
- Division 3: Senior Amanda Hernandez, Bishop Amat pitcher, and junior Bryn Boznanski, Rosary Academy outfielder.
- Division 4: Senior Noelle Roblero, Pomona Catholic infielder.
- Division 6: Senior Sherry Rivas, Santa Clara 12 OF; junior Devin Waddell, Marymount pitcher; and sophomore Solei Tabullo, San Gabriel Mission catcher.
- Division 7: Senior Madeline Biscaichipy, Mayfield catcher.
Mike Nelson is the former editor of The Tidings (predecessor of Angelus News).
Start your day with Always Forward, our award-winning e-newsletter. Get this smart, handpicked selection of the day’s top news, analysis, and opinion, delivered to your inbox. Sign up absolutely free today!