Six local Catholic school teams remain in the CIF-Southern Section girls’ soccer playoffs after posting second round victories Feb. 8.
Leading the title quest is unbeaten J.Serra (17-0-3), which defeated Millikan 2-1 in the Division 1 second round and will play San Juan Hills in the quarterfinals on Feb. 12. Santa Margarita was edged 1-0 by Newport Harbor.
Also advancing are Notre Dame/Sherman Oaks, Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy, La Salle, St. Bonaventure and St. Mary’s Academy. All quarterfinal matches are Feb. 12, with semifinals Feb. 16 and finals Feb. 22 and 23.
Second round results:
- D-2: Bishop Amat lost 2-1 to Mira Costa, and Sunny Hills beat Rosary Academy 2-0.
- D-3: Round 2: Flintridge Sacred Heart beat Serrano 4-1; Notre Dame/Sherman Oaks edged Apple Valley 3-2; Downey beat Bishop Montgomery 1-0. Quarterfinals: Flintridge Sacred Heart at South Torrance; Downey at Notre Dame.
- D-4: La Salle stopped Montclair 4-2, and plays at Windward in the quarters.
- D-5: Ontario beat St. Anthony 4-1.
- D-6: Ontario Christian beat Pomona Catholic 4-2.
- D-7: St. Bonaventure beat Mary Star and St. Mary’s Academy blanked Calvary Murrieta, both by 4-0; Big Bear nipped Ramona Convent, and Desert Hot Springs edged Santa Clara, both by 2-1. St. Bonaventure hosts Notre Dame/Riverside and St. Mary’s Academy hosts Marshall in the quarters.
Mike Nelson is the former editor of The Tidings (predecessor of Angelus News).
Start your day with Always Forward, our award-winning e-newsletter. Get this smart, handpicked selection of the day’s top news, analysis, and opinion, delivered to your inbox. Sign up absolutely free today!