Santa Margarita’s Milan Tolentino, sophomore pitcher and shortstop for the Eagles’ CIF-Southern Section Division 2 baseball champions, was named D-2 Player of the Year by the CIF-SS Baseball Coaches' Association.
Tolentino is the first Santa Margarita player to receive a Player of the Year honor, and the first from a local Catholic school to earn that award since Chaminade’s Blake Rutherford was the Division 1 Player of the Year in 2016.
Also honored for the 2019 season were the Eagles’ Chris Malec as Coach of the Year, and junior Connor Bane as a first team selection. Altogether, 13 Catholic school players received All-CIF first team honors in their respective divisions for 2019.
Selected by the Coaches' Association, and presented by the LA84 Foundation, the first-team honorees in other divisions from local Catholic high schools included the following:
- Division 1: Blake Archuleta, Bishop Amat.
- Division 3: Joseph Estes Jr., Paraclete, and Kelvin Bender, Serra/Gardena.
- Division 4: Brian Park, Cathedral; Andy Vega and Ryne Lina, Mary Star of the Sea; Julian Tellez and Sebastian Garcia, St Paul.
- Division 5: Luis Ramirez, Salesian.
- Division 6: Andrew Donini, St Anthony; Robbie Treto, St Genevieve
- Division 7: Charles Sousamian and Carlos Potrero, Don Bosco Tech.
Mike Nelson is the former editor of The Tidings (predecessor of Angelus News).
Start your day with Always Forward, our award-winning e-newsletter. Get this smart, handpicked selection of the day’s top news, analysis, and opinion, delivered to your inbox. Sign up absolutely free today!