Mission San Buenaventura in Ventura inaugurated a new solid brass bell on Easter in commemoration of the mission’s 234th anniversary.
The antique bell, which dates back to 1810, weighs about 35 pounds and is adorned with the image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The bell will be used during Mass at the time of consecration in imitation of the Mexican Catholic tradition.
The antique was gifted to Father Tom Elewaut, pastor at the Mission, from his father. Father Tom decided to use the bell during Mass after visiting San Pedro Tlaquepaque, Mexico, while on sabbatical, noticing that their churches used a larger bell, similar to the one he had in his possession.