As part of the celebration of 110 years of service to Los Angeles by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd, a Mass was celebrated recently by Archbishop José Gomez in the convent chapel formerly used by the contemplative branch of the order.
In 1904, at the request of Bishop Thomas J, Conaty, the first Good Shepherd Sisters arrived in Los Angeles and began what would be 72 years of caring for teenage girls, most of whom were runaways from abusive homes. In 1977 the Sisters established Good Shepherd Shelter for families victimized by domestic violence.
The shelter program now serves families in individual apartments on a campus which includes a child development center and preschool to fifth grade school, an adult learning center, individual and family therapy and an aftercare program. The families stay in touch with the Sisters often for many years and proudly tell them of their successes and dreams of leading healthy, violence-free and productive lives.
The 110-year celebration will culminate with a gala on Oct. 11 at the Sheraton Universal Hollywood Hotel to benefit the Shelter and honor the Sisters’ history and service. For more information, call (323) 737-6111 or visit www.goodshepherdshelter.org.