Girls’ basketball playoffs: 27 Catholic teams compete for 10 titles
Mike Nelson Feb. 5, 2019
A new round robin-style format for the Open Division has been introduced in the 2019 CIF-Southern Section girls’ basketball playoffs, with Bishop Montgomery, Mater Dei and Rosary Academy part of the eight-team tournament.
The other nine divisions find 24 Catholic schools teams competing for titles, beginning with wild-card play on Feb. 5 and concluding with championship action on Feb. 23.
Catholic school league champions in the tournament include Bishop Montgomery (Del Rey), Mater Dei (Trinity), Chaminade (Mission), St. Mary’s Academy (Camino Real), St. Bonaventure (Tri-Valley), St. Genevieve (Santa Fe), Marymount (Sunshine), Bishop Conaty-Loretto and Sacred Heart (Horizon) and St. Monica Academy (International)
Open Division: Two four-team “mini tournaments” commence Feb. 9, with the A Bracket featuring No. 4 Bishop Montgomery against No. 5 Redondo Union, and No. 1 Sierra Canyon against No. 8 Troy. The B Bracket pits No. 3 Windwards against No. 6 Mater Dei, and No. 2 Etiwanda against No. 7 Rosary Academy.
Subsequent rounds take place Feb. 13 and 16, and the winners of each bracket (based on best overall record) meet in the finals Feb. 23. A two-way tie for best record would be solved by head-to-head result; the winner of a three-way is determined by its “quality of opponent” wins based on seeding.
Other divisions: All games listed below are first-round matches on Feb. 7 except (as noted) for Division 5A. They include:
- Division 1: Sonora at Serra/Gardena; Canyon/Canyon Country at Chaminade, J.Serra at Fairmont Prep, Alemany at Valencia.
- D-2AA: Warren at St. Paul, Bishop Amat at Roosevelt.
- D-2A: Woodbridge at St. Mary’s Academy, Santa Margarita at Oak Hills.
- D-3AA: St. Joseph/Lakewood at Peninsula.
- D-3A: Antelope Valley at No. 1 seed St. Bonaventure.
- D-4AA: Providence/Burbank at Notre Dame/Sherman Oaks, Flintridge Sacred Heart at Workman
- D-4A: Heritage Christian at St. Genevieve, Sultana at Marymount, Xavier Prep at St. Pius X-St. Matthias Academy.
- D-5AA: Wildwood at St. Monica Academy, Mary Star at Eastside Christian, Rio Hondo Prep at Sacred Heart
- D-5A wild-card games on Feb. 5: Ramona Convent at La Puente, Hillcrest Christian/Thousand Oaks at Villanova Prep, Cornelia Connelly at Saddleback. First round on Feb. 7: La Reina at Pacific Christian/Santa Monica, wild-card winner at Bishop Conaty-Loretto, plus any involving Catholic school wild-card winners.
Mike Nelson is the former editor of The Tidings (predecessor of Angelus News).
Start your day with Always Forward, our award-winning e-newsletter. Get this smart, handpicked selection of the day’s top news, analysis, and opinion, delivered to your inbox. Sign up absolutely free today!
You Might Also Like