Led by five winners in Division 1, 13 Catholic school teams advanced to the second round of the 2019 CIF-Southern Section boys’ basketball playoffs, after first-round victories on Feb. 8.
Another three teams are competing in the reconfigured Open Division, which this year utilizes a round-robin format to determine finalists. Bishop Montgomery won but Mater Dei and St. John Bosco lost their opening games; all play again Feb. 12 along with the other nine divisions.
In the Open Division’s A Bracket, Bishop Montgomery upset No. 1 seed. Rancho Christian 54-50, and Etiwanda beat Rancho Verde 59-49. In the B Bracket, Sierra Canyon beat Mater Dei 71-61, and Centennial/Corona beat St. John Bosco 75-7.
On Feb. 12, matchups are and Bishop Montgomery vs. Rancho Verde and Rancho Christian vs. Etiwanda (A Bracket), and Sierra Canyon vs. St. John Bosco and Mater Dei vs. Centennial/Corona (B Bracket).
The pool play concludes Feb. 15, and the winners of each bracket (based on best overall record) meet in the finals Feb. 23. A two-way tie for best record would be solved by head-to-head result.
In first-round matches on Feb. 8 involving other divisions:
- Division 1: St. Anthony beat Alemany 90-77, Loyola beat Serra/Gardena 80-67, J.Serra beat Roosevelt 75-56, Santa Margarita beat Edison 57-44, Crespi beat Calabasas 75-63. Second round: Crespi at Santa Margarita, Pasadena at Loyola, J.Serra at Brentwood, St. Anthony at Poly/Riverside.
- D-2AA: Cathedral beat Bonita 71-56, Chaminade beat Pete Knight 76-61, Temecula Valley edged Notre Dame/Sherman Oaks 92-91. R2: Notre Dame/Riverside at Chaminade, Cathedral at Camarillo.
- D-2A: Peninsula beat Bishop Amat 70-51.
- D-3AA: St. Francis beat Marina 66-62, Cerritos beat Paraclete 71-67, Oxnard beat La Salle 70-57. R2: Beckman at St. Francis.
- D-3A: St. Bonaventure beat Corona 63-52, Mary Star beat Pioneer 78-70, Salesian beat Rowland 52-39. R2: Santa Barbara at St. Bonaventure, Mary Star at Barstow, Salesian at South Hills.
- D-4AA: Holy Martyrs beat St. Monica 65-59.
- D-4A: No. 1 seed Providence/Burbank beat Foothill Tech 84-45, Wiseburn Da Vinci beat St. Monica Academy 72-38. R2: Providence/Burbank at Pomona.
- D-5AA: No. 1 seed Santa Clara beat Trinity Classical 71-37. R2: Santa Clara at Riverside Prep.
- D-5A: Cate beat St. Michael’s Prep 70-58, New Roads beat Villanova 52-42.
Mike Nelson is the former editor of The Tidings (predecessor of Angelus News).
Start your day with Always Forward, our award-winning e-newsletter. Get this smart, handpicked selection of the day’s top news, analysis, and opinion, delivered to your inbox. Sign up absolutely free today!
You Might Also Like