Spencer Freedman, who led Mater Dei High School to the CIF-Southern Section Open Division boys’ basketball championship, is the CIF-SS Player of the Year for 2018.
It’s the 24th time a Monarch cager has earned the award, reflecting the continued dominance of the Santa Ana-based program under Coach Gary McKnight, who received Coach of the Year honors in the Open Division. The awards and the All-CIF-SS teams were presented March 26 by the LA84 Foundation.
Freedman, a 6-foot-1 point guard, led Mater Dei to another Trinity League title and a 23-7 overall record in 2018. The Harvard-bound Palisades native scored 13 points in the Monarchs’ 55-53 victory over Sierra Canyon in the CIF-SS Open Division championship game.
Mater Dei senior Michael Wang joined Freedman on the Open Division first team, along with seniors Fletcher Tynen and David Singleton of Bishop Montgomery and Brandon Williams of Crespi, and juniors Jake Kyman of Santa Margarita and Joshua Adoh of St. John Bosco. Freedman and Singleton are repeat selections from the 2017 first team.
Also repeating his 2017 first team selection was Mary Star of the Sea junior Joseph Octave in Division 4A. Other 2018 first team selections from Catholic schools in the Los Angeles Archdiocese and Orange Diocese were:
· D-1: Senior Cameron Shelton of Damien
· D-2A: Junior Amani Harris of St. Bernard
· D-3AA: Seniors CaCoa Chatman of St. Anthony and Nathan Kasongo of St. Paul
· D-3A: Seniors Jonathan Aguirre and Ismael Arrellano of Bishop Amat
· D-4AA: Junior Kai Rojas of St. Bonaventure
· D-5AAA: Senior Tevan Khudatyan of Providence/Burbank
· D-5A: Senior Peter Ford and junior Charlie Boles of St. Monica Academy
You Might Also Like